Monday, March 1, 2010

No Comparisons! Unless....

For those of you who follow my blog (Hi Mom!-ha) it’s been a little while since my last post. I have been pretty busy with clients, training for the NYC Half-Marathon, and working towards my NASM re-certification (which I finally finished today! whoo hoo!). Those aren’t the best excuses since there has probably been plenty of couch sitting as well , but hey, sometimes, I’ll take ‘em where I can get ‘em.

If you follow my blog, you know that I’m against comparisons and for rocking it out in your own skin. You should always work towards being the best you can be without putting yourself down based on what other people look like or the shape they seem to be in. Like I’ve said in the past, you don’t know about anyone’s journey but your own. Being healthy and strong is where it’s at…compare leads to despair, folks!

All that being said, however, my mind changed a tiny, TINY bit after reading this month’s Shape magazine. The “Editor’s Letter” for March really struck a chord with me and made me realize that comparing yourself to others actually can be a good thing at times IF you can do it right. And the way to do it right, is to use it as a source of inspiration. Valerie Latona, Shape’s Editor and Chief, explains in her letter that she has been guilty of feeling jealousy towards other women (who hasn’t, right?) but realized that “instead of being negative” she could “take a more can-do-approach.” Latona says, “next time you see someone looking fab, ask her for her secrets. You may become inspired to be your best!” So, maybe if you see someone walking down the street with amazing legs or Michelle Obama arms and your immediate impulse is to put yourself down, you can change that negativity into, as Latona says, “Wow, she looks incredible…I really need to get back on the ball when it comes to exercising.”

However, I do feel this approach might not work for everyone and there’s a chance that looking to other women walking down the street as motivation can pull the focus away from how great YOU are doing on a daily basis (especially with all of the different shapes and sizes we see out there). My biggest problem with making comparisons is that in this day and age, you don’t know what anyone is doing to look the way they do. They could be getting plastic surgery, not eating, eating too much, eating just enough, who knows! The most important thing is that you check in with yourself and push towards being the healthiest you can be. This comes from working out and eating healthfully. I still say find motivation in the mirror or with people you know and admire for their health, not their looks. I know it’s a struggle but like I always say, one of the greatest benefits of living healthy, is looking healthy. Try your best to keep that mindset and I promise you will feel great, no matter what! Be well!

No comments:

Post a Comment