Thursday, August 11, 2011

Check Yourself Before You Wreck Yourself

It's been a little while since I've blogged or vlogged so I thought I would do a quick check in to see how you are doing. How are you? How are your workouts going? Are you keeping motivated this summer? Are you striving towards your own personal greatness?

A couple weeks ago I had an article published with HerExchange titled 3 Ways to Be Your Personal Best. Even though I'm sure you couldn't stop yourself from reading, I'll recap. This article told a story about a day that I was running along the East River and I started to compare myself to other runners. I had to check myself before I wrecked myself and realize that compare leads to despair. By focusing on my own accomplishments and achievements, I'm rockin' my own world, not feeling slighted by someone elses.

Recently, I had a similar experience where I needed to check before I wrecked. I haven't been running much this summer because I've been engaging in other forms of activity (like my awesome Boot Camp workout). I also sat the proverbial bench after a nail fell off from the middle toe on my right foot again, and decided I wanted to take a break from the harsh effects running sometimes can have on one's body. On Sunday, when I was visiting my hometown Chicago, I went for a mid-day jog to give it a go again. Plainly put, the run sucked. It was really hot and muggy outside, and I felt like I was slogging through mud and sucking in vapor as I trekked the streets of my sister's neighborhood. I only ran two miles and it wasn't fun. Yesterday, I needed a little pick me up after traveling back to New York and some stress relief. Even though I was nervous to jog again after my bad experience two days prior, I knew that physical activity would be the best for me. I laced up my sneakers and hit the path by the East River.

Oh joy of joys, this run was 80 times better than my crappy Sunday workout. I was running stronger and breathing more easily. I remembered why I enjoy running. Even though I felt awesome in my own skin, doubt started to creep in as people started passing me left and right. I started to feel like a turtle easing on down the road. But, like I said, I checked myself and I quickly dug down to my mantra, compare leads to despair! and felt better. I told myself, you took a month off of running and you're feeling great! The last time you ran was horrible and this time is fantastic. Who cares that those 4 people just passed you! You're rockin' your own socks off!

We all have our good days and our bad days. You are the only one who can gauge what is best for you. Healthy competition is great, but when you allow yourself to fall into the pits of despair from the compare, check before you wreck and tell yourself that you are amazing for doing any type of physical activity. You're taking care of you. That's all that matters in the game of fitness. You!

Keep on keepin' on my fitness friends and of course, Be Well!



No comments:

Post a Comment