Friday, June 18, 2010

Wellness Defined


Lately, I've been thinking about what makes me happy in my life as far as wellness goes. Wellness is defined as "the quality of state of being healthy in body and mind, especially as the result of deliberate effort." I also believe it to be the place where you land once you have balanced both health and fitness for yourself. Balance is the key to being happy and I've been thinking about what that balance is for me. I've been trying to define my own wellness while letting go of some of the "shoulds" in my life and adding more of the "wants." Sometimes, the two go hand in hand...If you want something, there are things you should do but you have to ask yourself, is it worth it for your own personal wellness?

What do I mean by that? Here's an example: I had a client ask me how he could look like the hard-bodied movie stars he saw on the covers of his favorite magazines. I told him that if he wanted that look, he would need to work out at least 5 days a week, follow a regimented diet, and cut out any alcohol he was currently consuming. He laughed in my face. With his workaholic kind of schedule, 5 days a week of exercise wasn't an option for him unless he cut back in the office (which, at this point in his career, he wasn't willing to do). Also, as an avid foodie and wine connoisseur, he didn't want to make the sacrifice of cutting out his frequent restaurant visits and nightly bottles of wine. In this instance, he should have taken my advice to get wanted, but he had to settle for balance instead. He would work out 3 days a week, enjoy his food and wine, and be proud of the trim body he could maintain, six-pack or not. That was his personal wellness.

Maybe your personal wellness is sacrificing simple pleasures like food and alcohol to maintain a cut figure. More power to you! Eat clean to look lean and mean. Maybe your personal wellness is making sure to exercise daily and eat whatever your heart desires (please don't eat fast food, though :-)). Define for yourself what is and don't let anyone else decide what that is for you.

As far as my own wellness goes...These days, I am living in a much more happening area of town and my social life is much more hoppin'. With my new lifestyle comes a little bit more alcohol and food consumption which equals more calorie intake. For now, I'm happy with this. I'm having fun and living my life. I work harder in the gym if possible and watch that I don't go overboard. If I do go overboard from time to time (overboard for me is maybe having that extra glass of wine when I don't need it or eating dessert when I've had enough to eat already), I'm not beating myself up over it. Again, maybe I'll do a little extra in the gym the next day to make up for it . Life is meant to be enjoyed and I'm trying my best to do just that...enjoy. I hope that you'll enjoy by your definition of enjoyment/wellness and Be Well.


No comments:

Post a Comment