Thursday, April 12, 2012

A Guide to Common Cleanses by Everyday Health

Just last month, I passed my exam to earn the title of Fitness Nutrition Specalist through NASM. Now I feel like I have a little bit more credibility behind me to speak to the nutrition aspect of fitness, whereas before, I really only felt qualified to write about physical training. 

I'm a big proponent of eating what you like, as long as you do so in moderation. There are so many fad diets out there that require you to remove entire food groups out of your diet, which is neither desirable or sustainable. Your body needs a well rounded diet of carbohydrates, protein, vegetables and fruits to stay functioning properly and happily. These days, I keep track of my calories while eating a wide variety of foods to moderate my intake, so that I have an equal balance of calories in and calories out. I find that this is the best way to keep the pounds off and maintain a happy, healthy body.

When I came across an article with Everyday Health  called A Guide to Common Cleanses, I knew I'd have to share it with anyone who reads my blog. The article demystifies the misconception many share on juice cleanses. I am not a fan of juice cleanses because our bodies naturally "clean" our systems on a daily basis. All a cleanse does is slow your metabolism, reduce water weight (which leads you to believe that you lost fat when in reality, you'll just gain all of that weight back when you start to eat normally again), and give you a false sense of weight loss. Take a look at this article from Everyday Health to get schooled on cleanses and read what the experts say about why sustaining your body on juice is a bad idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment