Thursday, December 2, 2010

Holiday Tip #3

We're now on day 3 of Holiday Tip time.

FITNESS TIP:

Like I said in my last blog post, you're probably pressed for time right now with all of your holiday obligations, and I mentioned that doing supersets will save you time in the gym. What will also help is adding interval training to your routine. That is defined as doing a high burst of activity and following it with a more moderately paced activity. For example, perform your supersets (as mentioned in yesterday's post) but then add some cardio in between sets:
60 seconds of jumping jacks, 60 seconds of high knees and 10 squat jumps, or hop on the treadmill/elliptical machine for 2.5 to 3 minutes. Go at a pace where it is difficult to talk (if you can). By going back and forth between this high-intensity cardio work and lower-intensity weight work, you can meet all of your fitness needs in less time at the gym. Good news, right?

HOLIDAY INDULGENCE:

There's something about cinnamon that makes food more festive. I add it to a lot of the foods I eat (like oatmeal and lattes) not only because I love it, but
also because it has many health benefits, including slowing the rate at which your stomach empties after meals and helping with blood sugar control. I also love apples. I eat at least 1 every day. To combine these two loves, I decided to cut up an apple, throw some cinnamon on it, stick it in the oven at 325 degrees and see what happened. I kept the apple in the oven on a cookie sheet for about 10 minutes. The result? Delicious! It tastes like dessert! Here is the finished product:
Can you see the cinnamon gooey-ness on the cookie sheet? Awesome! For a real indulgence, you can also add these to a half-cup of low-fat vanilla ice cream. Wowza. Enjoy and Be Well!

No comments:

Post a Comment